Villa Serpentara, located in Olevano Romano nearby Casa Baldi, offers hospitality to the artists sent by the Academy of Arts in Berlin. It owes its name to the oak grove of the Serpentara, the snake grove north of Olevano where it stands. The oaks grown on the bare rocks had become the preferred forest model and more often studied by the Romantics, who in 1873 collected funds between German and Italian artists to buy it, when it threatened the deforestation and exploitation for the manufacture of railway sleepers. In the early twentieth century, the Kassel sculptor Heinrich Gerhardt, a resident of Rome, had a small "mountain shelter" built there and in 1914 he donated it to the Berlin Academy of Arts, which from 1961 again confers study for a stay in Olevano. The Villa, completely renovated in 2016 and 2017, is managed by the German Academy of Rome Villa Massimo. For the affinity of the activities carried out and the intense artistic and human exchange among the scholarship holders, the artists of Villa Serpentara are involved in all the activities of the German Academy of Rome.